česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Okruh Debrník - utajená obrana

Anti-tanks concrete pyramids

Armored vehicles, mainly tanks, underwent a considerable technical progress during the Second World War. Such conflict events on battlefields showed that tanks played often the crucial role for the outcome of the battle. It was therefore necessary to deal with the anti-tank defense in the defense zone both by active and passive means. Original pre-war barriers which were built within the permanent fortification system proved obsolete, and it was therefore necessary to search for new technical solutions of the barrier system. Since 1953, multiple-row barriers from reinforced concrete were built for the damming of open spaces and roads suitable for the deployment of tanks. Three-sided pyramids with a side length of 135cm were usually placed into four or five rows, supplemented with protruding ditch embankment in the direction of anticipated enemy´s procedure. It provided a protection barrier against direct shooting, moreover, the tank landed on the top of the barrier while going on the ditch embankment, which could have blocked it. You are now standing at a point where there used to be a four-row-barrier, able to close the road and its adjacent meadows from Debrník to Železná Ruda in the fifties. The barrier was made of approximately one thousand pyramids and its total length was 450 meters. In order to camouflage it, the border was planted with trees, gradually overgrowing the barrier. After the fall of the Iron Curtain, the obstacle was demolished except for the forwarded embankment. The example of the original pyramids deployment can now be seen on the opposite side of the embankment.

GPS position

N 49° 7.622', E 13° 13.920'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Město Železná Ruda
Milan Kříž
Tel.:602646780
e-mail:kriz@zeleznaruda.cz
http://