česky english deutsch polski <<< >>>

Kojetínské Hills

Janáček orchards (305 m)

In place of today´s Janáček orchards was second city cemetery from the late 16th to the mid-19th century. Last reminder of this reverent place is a baroque Chapel of St. Cross from 1757 standing in the middle of the park. After the abolition of the cemetery in 1879, the cemetery was converted into an urban park. The Janáček orchards are dominated by the gothic Church of Holy Trinity, formerly called the Moravian chapel. The church dates back from the turn of the 15th and 16th century. In 1657, the church tower was rebuilt. In 1899, a total renovation of the building underwent. The last repair of the tower was made in 2002, when a copule of the tower was removed and newly built and it was covered with copper plating. You will find interesting baroque decorations from the turn of the 17th and 18th century inside the church. Four erratic boulders are situated in the park, transported to the vicinity of Nový Jičín during glaciation; a continental glaciation interfered even to these places. Two of the boulders are formed by local igneous rock – picrite, and two of the boulders are formed by Scandinavian granite and gneiss. Karel Kryl, the interesting Czech folk singer born in the near Nový Jičín, has got a memorial plaque in the park. He lived in his young years in the city. His father was a co-owner of a popular printer-works, the Kryl and Scotti. GPS: N 49° 35.50213', E 18° 0.71510' Pcr. 1 Group of erratic boulders. Pcr. 2 Detail of the Scandinavian granite.

GPS position

N 49° 35.502', E 18° 0.715'



Geopark Podbeskydí/Občanské sdružení Hájenka
Ing. Dalibor Kvita