česky english deutsch polski <<< >>>

Kravařsko

Žerotín Chateau

A large three-winged Renaissance building with two courtyards is located in the centre of Nový Jičín. It was originally a wooden fortress in the 14th century, which was rebuilt many times. The core of the building was probably a stone house of the Lords of Kravaře, built in the late l4th century. Probably in the 2nd mid-l5th century, the lords of Cimburk extended the castle to late Gothic two-winged fortified castle. In 1500, the city of Nový Jičín, along with the estate, was sold to the brothers of Žerotín. Bedřich of Žerotín and his new wife Libuše of Lomnice gave the castle the today's appearance. Persistent danger of Turks influenced the construction of high attics with loop holes and dojons in the walls. After Bedřich´s death in 1558, it served as a city hall and since then it had an administrative and economic purpose. In the 80s of the 16th century, the town built the third, west wing with a high attic, the today F-shaped floor plan was completed. During the Thirty Years' War, the castle was plundered by the Swedish troops and it burned down in 1678. The last major construction work took place in the 19th century. In the 1930s, demolition of the castle was considered but, fortunately, it did not happen. After 1945, the castle serves as museum, currently the Museum Novojičínsko.

GPS position

N 49° 35.607', E 18° 0.628'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Geopark Podbeskydí / Občanské sdružení Hájenka
Ing. Dalibor Kvita
Tel.:604526114
e-mail:hajenka@centrum.cz
http://