česky english deutsch polski <<< >>>


Sedlnice chateau

The original wooden fortress from the 15th century was rebuilt in the early 17th century. The building bottoms were formed in a horseshoe shape. Hartwig Erdmann Eichendorff profited the chateau from marriage in 1655. The Eichendorffs converted the castle in a comfortable mansion in classicist style, they rebuilt the park in the English style. Property of the family gradually declined. They had to sell all assets, except the Sedlnice estate. German Romantic poet Joseph Eichendorff (1788 – 1857) became its co-owner, along with his older brother William, in 1818. Impoverished nobleman became an official of the Prussian Ministry of Culture. His residence in the Sedlnice chateau dates back from 1845. He spent winters mostly in Berlin. He was very popular among the inhabitants from Sedlnice. He lived very lonely in Sedlnice but many of his poems originated there. When walking, he liked to rest in the woods. Today there is a memorable tree, the Joseph´s oak. After 1918, a box with about 80 poems in manuscript form was found in the castle. In 1917, fire destroyed the right north wing. In the years 1952–1954, the middle part of the castle had to be taken down because of the threat of its collapse. Just the left southern part remained from the former castle. The building lost its architectural value, it is not a protected monument. Today there is a council flat located.

GPS position

N 49° 39.375', E 18° 5.201'



Geopark Podbeskydí / Občanské sdružení Hájenka
Ing. Dalibor Kvita