česky english deutsch polski <<< >>>

Kravařsko

Kunín Chateau

The Kunín Chateau belongs among the most precious Baroque chateaus in Moravia. Originally, in its place stood a Renaissance fortress which was rebuilt to a Renaissance chateau of the Harrachs according to the design of J. L. Hildebrandt, during the years 1726–1734. The castle is the most important building in Moravia realized by the Hildebrandt´s plan­s. Garden facade reminiscents a famous castle residence of Salzburg, famous Mirabell Palace which was also rebuilt by Hildebrandt. Also, the austrian tourists call the Kunín castle as „a small Moravian Mirabell.“ The castle is not a magnificent residential building, but rather a small manor and resting place of family members. At the time of castle construction, a park was also established on an area of about 8 ha. After the Earls of Harach, Walburg-Zeilové came on the castle. An epoch of the biggest fame only came at the turn of the 18th and 19 century in a period of Marie Walburga, Countess from Waldburg-Zeil (1762 – 1828). The Countess established one of the most modern educational institutions in Central Europe. The institution was attended by historian and politician František Palacký (laterly known as the father of the nation) and Johann Gregor Mendel, the founder of the basics of genetics. The Kunín Castle was sold first to Schindlers from Kunwald, later on to the business family of Knights – the Bauers from Brno. In 1945, the castle was confiscated by the state. Building fell into disrepair. Devastated building has undergone an extensive reconstruction since 2000. The castle was opened to the public in 2003 and now it is part of the Museum Novojičínsko.

GPS position

N 49° 38.556', E 17° 59.407'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Geopark Podbeskydí / Občanské sdružení Hájenka
Ing. Dalibor Kvita
Tel.:604526114
e-mail:hajenka@centrum.cz
http://