česky english deutsch <<<

Historical sights

Železný Brod

First reference to the church is already from the 13th century. In 1497, a bell with the relief of pieta was hung up on new, or on repaired church. The bell founder who made the Železný Brod pieta had a model in a Gothic wood carving, characteristic by a scarf which Our Painful Lady holds in hand. This sculpture probably originates from the end of 14th century. The present church of St. Jacob The Greater was built around 1762 by a reconstruction of an older church from the year 1649. Above the portal is placed sandstone arms of the church's builders and of the then nobility in Železný Brod, Karel Josef Des Fours and Karolina Colonna of Wels. An interesting thing in the interior is the main altar from years 1932–33, made of Slivenec marble and glass according to design of architect R. Klenka. Also professors of the local glass school participated in the altar's fabri­cation. Next to the church stays a two-floor parish house from the year 1763, a bell tower from the year 1761, and an ossuary from 1765. Stony stairway, leading from Malé náměstí to the church, was completely rebuilt in the year1940. It is lined by sandstone statutes of St. Anne, Virgo and St. Jan of Nepomuk. Behind the church near sacristy is placed a sandstone symbol cross. The bell tower from year 1761 was unique by its original construction, whose author was Johann Georg Volkert. Due to strong shakes the inner beam construction, which carried bells, was not (except for one point) joined to the outer mantle, which leant on external construction. However, in 2007 the bell tower burnt and the abovementioned bell from the year 1497 melted (clapper and other relics were handed over to the City museum in Železný Brod). Costly and complicated repair took place in 2008. A specialized company from Slavonice demounted scorched beams of the bell tower and included the yet usable ones into the new bell tower, which the company built in its own compound.

GPS position

N 50° 38.587', E 15° 15.394'



Geopark UNESCO Český ráj
Jiří Vlasák