česky english deutsch polski <<< >>>

Štramberský kras

Pešunk

The history of mining limestone in Štramberk dates back to medieval times, when the stone was mined on more accessible places of the Zámecký vrch (Castle Hill) or Skalky (Little rocks). Lime was burned in field furnaces. The limestone quarry Kotouč was founded in 1881 by brothers Guttmann in Vienna. Soon after the foundation, it became the largest quarry in the Austria – Hungary. The stone was extracted here manuály, using the drill rods. One worker spined this rod and the other two hammered it. After drilling the hole of a depth of 1.5 meters, the dynamite was inserted into the hole and blasted the rock. It was then manually loaded on wagons. The dril man got for this hard work 1 gulden and 20 kreutzers a day, which was weekly earnings of weaver. Initially, the workers brought their own tools from home. The pneumatic hammer was used in the quarry since 1907. In 1912, the company of Guttmann brothers built a cement mill on a land under the Kotouč. Every day, about 100 wagons of limestone was excavated. Mining reached its peak in the 1960s and 1970s. At that time, the greater part of the Kotouč along with a 10 hectares large gord of the Silesian-Lusatian culture and an important place of pilgrimage churches built by the Jesuits, was mined out. The upland plateau with these important monuments were extracted without thorough research, in 1959. In the vicinity of the former shaft furnace Horečka (Fever), approximately 300 meters west of this place, several workers' houses of government of the limestone quarry used to stand. Famous explorer Jiří Hanzelka was born in one of those houses on 24th December 1920.

GPS position

N 49° 35.007', E 18° 7.603'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Geopark Podbeskydí/Občanské sdružení Hájenka
Ing. Dalibor Kvita
Tel.:604526114
e-mail:hajenka@centrum.cz
http://