česky english deutsch polski <<< >>>

Štramberský kras

City Museum

One of the original taproom houses No. 31 was built by burgher Hykl in 1827 on the site of the timbered town house. Later, the house became the property of the Prosek family. During a reconstruction in 1993, the stucco of the facade was restored by contemporary photographs. Since 1985, the reconstructed building now serves as town museum. Today, you will find here an exposition of the Museum of the Nový Jičín district related to the city Štramberk and an exhibition of the Museum of a world famous painter Zdeněk Burian. Like other houses on the square, also this house was a witness of a famous Štramberk funfair. Traditional Štramberk funfair is not related to the patron of the parish church, but on the Ascension Day. On that day, according to legend, the inhabitants of Štramberk were saved from the Tartar raid. Allegedly, Moravia suffered from the devastating invasions of the Tatar troops in 1241. The residents of Štramberk fled from the Tatar hordes to a nearby mountain Kotouč. Tartar army besieged the mountain and was about to the final attack. The night before the forthcoming battle on the eve of Ascension day, a great storm came and brave residents of Štramberk took the opportunity to dig through a dam of the pond in Ženklava. The resulting flush of water flooded the Tartar camp, overthrew tents and drifted out asleep Tatars. When the water receded, the inhabitants of Štramberk found on the ground just a bag full of salted ears, which the Tartars cutt off from the killed enemy and sent them as proof of their prowess to their khan in Mongolia. In commemoration of this event, in Štramberk is a funfair to which are baked the Štramberk ears – thin rolls of gingerbread dough, shaped like ears.

GPS position

N 49° 35.506', E 18° 7.046'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Geopark Podbeskydí/Občanské sdružení Hájenka
Ing. Dalibor Kvita
Tel.:604526114
e-mail:hajenka@centrum.cz
http://