česky english deutsch polski <<< >>>

Štramberský kras

Jura´s rock

The Jura´s rock is 3 to 10 m high rock wall on the geological interface between Štramberk limestone and Baška sandstone. In the geological past, the less resistant sandstone was removed and so the Jura´s rock became uncovered. The rock wall is the only significant outcrop of limestone in the area, which was not affected by mining in the history and therefore has a natural relief. In the wall, small karst cavities, called abri, are formed. The formation of these caves and rock overhangs were involved mainly by the mechanical weathering. Dissolution of limestone by water participated only in shaping the details. The largest of these karst formations is the Jura´s cave located on a slope above the bust František Palacký. It is 5 meters long, 3 m wide and 3 m high. A little castle in the surroundings of the monument to Bedřich Smetana on the Jura´s rock dates from the late 13th century to mid 14th century. The settlement around the spring of Peace is then moved into the newly created town and castle Štramberk. In 1956, a great store of bronze objects was found under the no longer existing Lord´s lookout. Such bronze treasures, but also single objects could often be found on the hill Kotouč in the past, since the 17th century. Only since the late 19th century were found here five depots of pins, axes, sickles, buckles, bracelets and other items indicating the importance and richness of the local settlement. In 1886, Karel Maška discovered the remains of a workshop for adulteration of money from the 2nd half of the 15th century in the mined out cave called the Devil's hole.

GPS position

N 49° 35.127', E 18° 7.047'



Geopark Podbeskydí/Občanské sdružení Hájenka
Ing. Dalibor Kvita