česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Folk architecture

Karlov

Lomnice nad Popelkou and its surroundings have many tourist spots. Town was founded as early as in 13th century; the first written record is however from 1354. Owners changed town during centuries. The most outstanding was Morzin family, which owned the town from the half of 17th century. Weaving has developed in the town since the 16th century. Production of Lomnice biscuits has started in the town in year 1810. A set of valuable part of folk buildings was declared as historical site of folk architecture on 25th July 1995 in the town quarter of Karlov. The build up preserves the original layout. Traditional folk architecture forms an exceptional and historically valuable part of folk architecture in the northeast Bohemia. Single- storey timbered houses with mighty saddleback roofs covered with shingles prevailed until the 17th century. Important part was the chimney, which took out the smoke from the fire place. Chimney body has the base at the mouth of the oven. The top part of the chimney had usually regular prismatic shape. Some chimneys had the decorated head called “babka”. Stone masons made heads from sandstone and decorated them with ornaments or figures. The centre of Karlov is a large rectangular square, which is the masterpiece of wooden baroque urbanism. The area has uniformly designed single-storey timbered houses with arcades and carved gables facing the square. The symbolic name of the quarter is enhanced by sandstone statue of Virgin Mary of Karlov, patron of expecting and infertile women. There is even a fountain at the little square and the statue of St. Prokop. In the past Karlov square served as cattle market. Apart from the company Glanztex there is a restaurant, which offers daily some snack, in Karlov in the direction to Košov.

GPS position

N 50° 31.759', E 15° 22.191'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Geopark UNESCO Český ráj
Jiří Vlasák
e-mail:vlasak@geopark-ceskyraj.cz
http://www.geopark-ceskyraj.cz