česky english deutsch <<< >>>

ČGS South Bohemia

Silver Glassworks

Though this information has not been verified, the silver was allegedly mined in this place a long time ago. As a result, the nearby hill was given a name Silver Hill, later used for the name of the whole colony. The beginnings date back to 1782 when Mr. Josef Mayer decided to found the glassworks here along with a few glassworker houses around. In 1794, the glassworks was extended by the neighbouring glassworks, known as Bonaventura. The best Czech crystal glass, among others, was manufactured in both glassworks. The ruby glass was also made in the glassworks to be exported to the seaport towns at the Baltic Sea and the North Sea. The glassworks was closed in 1881.The Stříbrné Hutě colony was levelled with ground after the World War II.

GPS position

N 48° 38.274', E 14° 43.120'



Česká geografická společnost
Mgr. Petra Karvánková, Ph.D.
Katedra geografie PF JU v Českých Budějovicích, Jeronýmova 10, 371 15 České Budějovice
Tel.:+420 387 773 063