česky english deutsch <<< >>>

ČGS South Bohemia

Orlík nad Vltavou

The village of Orlík nad Vltavou is located in the north of the Písek region, in the vicinity of the Orlík water reservoir created in 1961 as the biggest water reservoir in the Czech Republic by volume. The village is formed by two parts (original part Staré Sedlo and a newer part called Višňovka), divided by a road across the Ždákovský bridge (a steel bridge ranking among the longest single span bridges in Europe). The colony of Staré Sedlo was referred to as early as in the late 13th century. The village is dominated by the Orlík chateau (originally a Gothic castle from the 13th century) with a large manor park from 1820. Originally, the castle on the high rock towered above the Vltava river, but now it lies right at the Orlík lake coast. The neo-Gothic vault of the Schwarzenberg family from the mid-19th century can be found near the chateau, too. The formerly Gothic (from the 14th century), St. Saint Procopius Church, later reconstructed in the Baroque era, is located right in the square.

GPS position

N 49° 30.265', E 14° 10.064'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Česká geografická společnost
Mgr. Petra Karvánková, Ph.D.
Katedra geografie PF JU v Českých Budějovicích, Jeronýmova 10, 371 15 České Budějovice
Tel.:+420 387 773 063
e-mail:karvikus@seznam.cz
http://