česky english deutsch <<< >>>

ČGS South Bohemia

Mydlovary

The village of Mydlovary lies approximately 16 km north-west of České Budějovice. It belongs to one of nine historic villages, also known as the Zbudovská Marshland. The first written reference to the village dates back to 1352. There is a large deposit of lignite (less quality brown coal) around and directly below the village. Its mining began here between 1917 and 1918. To make use of this poor quality but cheap raw material, the Mydlovary Power Plant was brought into operation in 1922. The lignite mining was discontinued in 1974. The vast exploited areas were then used as a settling pit for the MAPE plant (brought into operation in 1962) for chemical processing of uranium ores. The power plant began to serve as a heating station supplying heat to this plant, the town of Zliv and partially to České Budějovice as well (at that time, the steam pipeline, more than 15 km long, was the longest steam pipeline of its kind in Czechoslovakia). The power generation discontinued in 1998 and in 2001 the heating station was adapted to the natural gas utilization. The uranium leaching in MAPE finished in 1991, but the damaged land reclamation is still in progress and is expected to end in 2024.

GPS position

N 49° 6.560', E 14° 9.334'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Česká geografická společnost
Mgr. Petra Karvánková, Ph.D.
Katedra geografie PF JU v Českých Budějovicích, Jeronýmova 10, 371 15 České Budějovice
Tel.:+420 387 773 063
e-mail:karvikus@seznam.cz
http://