česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Litoměřice

Historical Cellars in Litomerice

Litomerice belongs among the oldest royal towns in the country. It originated in years 1219–1228 as a fortified complex of wooden houses. Construction of the first stone houses in Gothic style is documented in the second half of 13th century. During the reign of Premysl dynasty the city had a lot of rights and privileges. One of these privileges was the right of change and storage. Due to this privilege the citizens built cellars, which served for farming and storage purposes. They stored mainly wine, grain and salt here. Cellars also served as shelters in times of unrest and wars in the Middle Ages. Therefore, interconnected tunnels, about 25 meters long, were built there. Later, second and third floors were dug out.

In the seventies of 20th century the underground areas were reconstructed, original brickwork with reconstructed concrete chink is visible here. After this reconstruction local Museum of national history and science built exhibition hall here. About 366 meter long tunnel with 180 stairs is opened to public.

Currently, samples of fossilized Mesozoic cephalopods, samples of volcanic lava, millstones or other exhibits borrowed from county museum, such as renaissance balustrade from local city houses can be seen in six rooms there.

Sightseeing tour to gothis cellars leads through wine bar and a restaurant called “City Hall Cellar” (Radnicni sklipek), that is also situated in underground spaces.

Historické sklepy

Historické sklepy

GPS position

N 50° 32.056', E 14° 7.908'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Památky jinak, o.s.
Věra Gruntorádová
Tel.:774114586
e-mail:pamatkyjinak@gmail.com
http://www.pamatky-jinak.webnode.cz