česky english deutsch <<< >>>

Litoměřice

Fortification walls and baileys

The historic centre of Litoměřice was declared an urban heritage reservation by the Ministry of Culture in 1978. It is surrounded by Gothic town walls. The original town fortification mentioned in 1257 ceased to exist. The space in front of the walls which is protected by a bank (a little wall in this case) is called bailey. The Gothic system of fortification still preserved to this day was created in two phases. The inner wall dates back to the years 1360 – 1380. It is up to 10 m high, 2 m thick with jagged battlement and prism-shaped towers. The outer bailey wall was built around the year 1513. It was originally 4.5 m tall. Today, however, it is about 3 m tall, 1.2 m thick with several horse-shoe bastions. The west tower was rebuilt into a sightseeing pavilion in 1705 called the Jesuit observatory. The fortification walls today are about 1800 m long. The walls originally had four gates. They were the Long Gate (in the East), the Most Gate (in the South), the Michal Gate (in the West) and the fourth was the New Gate (in the north, formerly called Cínařská). One by one they were pulled down during the years 1831 and 1863. The bailyes in Litoměřice are named after José Rizal. José Rizal was a Philippine poet, prosaic, humanist and a notable eye surgeon. In honour of the friendship between him and Ferdinand Blumentritt, a school director from Litoměřice there is a memorial plaque here. There is a masterpiece by the sculptor Václav Blažek close to the entry in honour of Karel Hynek Mácha who was living in Litoměřice part of his life.

Máchovy schody

Parkány

Socha K.H.Máchy

GPS position

N 50° 31.968', E 14° 7.887'
[GPX]

[MAPY.CZ]

Contact

Památky jinak, o.s.
Věra Gruntorádová
Tel.:774114586
e-mail:pamatkyjinak@gmail.com
http://www.pamatky-jinak.webnode.cz